The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy continues to be one of the greatest institutions in the world and the greatest in producing leaders in the maritime field. Here are some of the highlights of 2011 (sent from USMMAAF):
- The Class of 2011 graduated 204 strong with the ceremony on Barney Square with 98% employment (66% maritime industry and 24% active duty.
- The Tomb Field football turf and all-weather, 8-lane track were replaced and put into use.
- RADM Philip N. Greene ’78 was named the 2011 Kings Pointer of the Year.
- LTJG Francis L. Toner IV, USN, CEC ’06 was awarded the Silver Star posthumously by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, ADM Mike Mullen, USN for his sacrifice and bravery in Afghanistan.
- 292 candidates of the Class of 2015 reported to the Academy on July 7th, including 13 sons and daughters of Kings Point graduates.
- Class of 1965 is 50th Legacy Class and Class of 1990 is 25th Legacy Class for 2015.
- Midshipman Dan Twito ’11 captured the second-ever National Wrestling Championship in the 157-pound weight class with the team finishing 8th in the nation.
- Diver Nicholas Halbach ’11 captured the NCAA Division III National Championships in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions and was named Division III Diver of the Year.
- Astronaut Captain Mark Kelly, USN (Ret.) ’86 and his wife Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) returned for his 25th reunion, the site of his marriage proposal to Giffords 5 years ago.
- Donald Liu ’62 was elected to the National Academy of Engineering with 5 other Kings Pointers.
- Jack Noonan ’78 was the 2011 “Skip” Prosser ’72 Achievement Award recipient for excelling in his chosen career and supporting USMMA athletics.
- George Hall’s ’82 Ruler on Ice, won the Belmont Stakes and was third in the Breeders’ Cup Classic.
Here’s to a great 2012 for Kings Point and her family. I wish everyone a year filled with success, happiness, and fond memories.